At a nice ripe 8 am I poke my toes out from the warmth of the comforter and lazily sway down two flights of stairs to the kitchen. I eat the routine Swiss breakfast of bread with butter and jam and a mug of hot chocolate. Julia asks if I would like to help with the horses. Georg, Julia, and I lead the horses past the house to the barn and sand ring. Georg demonstrates how to put on a small harness around the horses head and me and Julia imitate. We then tie them to the posts and brush and clean out the bottoms of their hooves. Then I am instructed to get on Norma's back. No saddle, just a small special shaped blanket strapped around her belly. My Swiss-German is not quite up to speed yet after only one and a half months, and I most definitely cannot fluently understand it. So begins the explanation of STOP and GO. The problem was not stopping but rather going. And without going you can't stop. Eventually I got Norma to obey. But after great failure. Then I went swimming in Davos, and enjoyed very much the water slide. After turning into a human prune, we went to a Ice Hockey match. Davos vs. some Swiss-French team from the East of Switzerland. We were cheering for Davos, HCD, (Ha-Cte-De). The blue and yellow team, just like the mariners. Davos won 4-0. The entire train ride back I had the songs that the fans were singing stuck in my head, or rather the tune, as I couldn't exactly decipher the words. At around 23:15 when we returned to Küblis we still had to bike up the hill, a hill of greater heights than East Hill. I rode the motor bike and Julia the Electro-bike, holding onto my backpack as I slowly helped tow her up to Luzein.
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Busy Saturdays
At a nice ripe 8 am I poke my toes out from the warmth of the comforter and lazily sway down two flights of stairs to the kitchen. I eat the routine Swiss breakfast of bread with butter and jam and a mug of hot chocolate. Julia asks if I would like to help with the horses. Georg, Julia, and I lead the horses past the house to the barn and sand ring. Georg demonstrates how to put on a small harness around the horses head and me and Julia imitate. We then tie them to the posts and brush and clean out the bottoms of their hooves. Then I am instructed to get on Norma's back. No saddle, just a small special shaped blanket strapped around her belly. My Swiss-German is not quite up to speed yet after only one and a half months, and I most definitely cannot fluently understand it. So begins the explanation of STOP and GO. The problem was not stopping but rather going. And without going you can't stop. Eventually I got Norma to obey. But after great failure. Then I went swimming in Davos, and enjoyed very much the water slide. After turning into a human prune, we went to a Ice Hockey match. Davos vs. some Swiss-French team from the East of Switzerland. We were cheering for Davos, HCD, (Ha-Cte-De). The blue and yellow team, just like the mariners. Davos won 4-0. The entire train ride back I had the songs that the fans were singing stuck in my head, or rather the tune, as I couldn't exactly decipher the words. At around 23:15 when we returned to Küblis we still had to bike up the hill, a hill of greater heights than East Hill. I rode the motor bike and Julia the Electro-bike, holding onto my backpack as I slowly helped tow her up to Luzein.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment