Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gotschna Pulver


It has been staying around -10 grad for the past week, consistently snowing tiny, light, airy flakes of infinitely fluffy powder. With school only untill noon on wednesdays I take the train home, eat a small lunch and immediately ski down to Küblis to catch the train at 13:11 headed to Davos. I plug in my earbuds and listen to some Ratatat, Red Hot Chili Peppers and other random artists. The train stops in Klosters 14 minutes later, this is Switzerland by the way, I get off and proceed under the station to my right where the Gotschna Bahn is. I catch it just before the doors close. Looking out the frosted plastic windows, I search for the most snow and least tracks. The run that looks likes heaven is directly below as we ascend in the red box up the mountain. Bindings click in and I arrange my poles as I head around the corner. Its not as steep as I would like, but its fun and deep. Weaving through trees, breathing in snow and popping off hummocks, skiing between the metal trestles of the tram tower. What could be better? Being slapped in the face by a branch? It only makes me happier. The next run I notice a set of snowboard tracks mimicking my turns. On the tram I meet the creators. Both are speaking english. The one in bright blue and green comes from Austria, the one in more subtle colors comes from England. They ask where I'm heading when we get to the top, I tell them I plan on skiing downhill, the guy from Austria says thats a pretty bold move. Then I leave them in the wake of my turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment